Our programs and services follow our mission statement, and its three main areas of focus:
- Programs and services for people with Parkinson’s disease
- Public education and awareness
- Advancing research and therapies for Parkinson’s disease
Helping people with Parkinson’s disease, and their loved ones, is at the heart of all we do. Some of our programs:
- Support Groups: We sponsor a variety of support and exercise groups, as well as frequent educational workshops that provide information and support. We are continually expanding our neighborhood support groups in Kentucky and Southern Indiana, while developing innovative programs to better serve people with Parkinson’s disease.
- Telephone and E-Mail Support: Our staff is available to support you by phone or by e-mail. Please contact us.
- In-Person Consultation: We are happy to meet with you at our offices to discuss, one-on-one, your questions and concerns.
- Helping You Connect with Others: We have a number of volunteers, both people with Parkinson’s disease and their loved ones, who are willing to meet with you by phone, e-mail or in person to share their wisdom and experience.
- Providing Practical Information: Our popular bi-monthly Living Well print newsletter and monthly e-newsletter deliver valuable tips, information and notice of upcoming events to your mailbox.
- Free Resource & Lending Libraries: We have hundreds of free resources on a variety of helpful topics. You can visit us or call us at 502-254-3388, and we will help you get the information you need. We also have an extensive lending library, which includes the latest books and DVDs.
- Regional Symposium on Living Well with Parkinson’s Disease: Every year, we host the Frances E. Lang Living Well Symposium. The most recent Symposium was a one-day event held October 10, 2013, featuring national and local experts.
Public Education and Awareness
There are many myths and much misinformation about Parkinson’s disease. There are many people living alone with the disease, often undiagnosed. Part of our mission is to spread helpful information about PD and connect people with Parkinson’s to appropriate medical and support communities.
- Speakers: We are happy to speak to your church group, civic organization or employees about Parkinson’s disease. Please contact us.
- Health Fairs: We attend select health fairs throughout the year. If your organization is hosting a health fair, please let us know. We can always provide information about Parkinson’s disease, and we may be able to attend.
- Collaborating with Other Agencies: We believe that one of the best ways to help people with Parkinson’s is through active collaboration with other agencies. We work with other non-profits, area religious groups, local and national businesses and all of the area hospitals to educate our community about Parkinson’s disease and provide innovative programs and services.
- Reaching People with our volunteer Outreach Program. This program’s primary goal is to significantly expand our community outreach and patient identification, with an emphasis on reaching across boundaries of class and race to the unserved and under-served. Through this program, the Center provides advocacy, support & referral services, and in-home visits.
- Caregiver Training: This program’s primary goal is to better equip caregivers. The Center provides basic Parkinson’s disease training to those who care for people with Parkinson’s disease in our community.
We recognize the importance of partnering with others to advance research, therapies and initiatives that improve the quality of life for people with Parkinson’s and their loved ones.